Subject: bug#75355: [PATCH 1/1] Improve comment cycling in log-edit

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2025 18:50:59 +0000

Hello,

On Sun 05 Jan 2025 at 12:37pm +01, Jonas Bernoulli via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" wrote:

> Note that the command log-edit-save-comment is also used in code twice,
> so the cost of making it a command is just the line " (interactive)".
> If you feel this command is not useful enough to receive a default key
> bindings, we can drop that, but the interactive form should remain.

I would like to drop the default binding for now, but keep the command.

I have a couple of questions about the rest of the patch:

- I don't think Log Edit buffers ever contain commented lines or
  scissors lines at present.  So I'm not sure why you included that
  functionality.  Is it because you want to reuse this function in the
  hypothetical simplified git-commit-mode?

- I think some people might prefer not to have their half-written
  comment saved.  What do you think about doing everything in entries in
  log-edit-save-comment-hook, so that someone could customise that to
  remove the default behaviour, if they wanted?  Or perhaps a simple
  boolean defcustom to turn this new behaviour on and off.

-- 
Sean Whitton