Subject: Re: bug#75354: (29.4; eww buffer is not displayed correctly when used from bookmark-jump )

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2025 06:50:02 -0400

On Fri, Mar 14, 2025 at 12:46 AM Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Ship Mints <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >     Which bookmark handlers?
> >
> > At least these packages rely on bookmarks that store window state and
> > their handlers restore window state.  There are workarounds I have
> > considered but they are distasteful, to say the least.
> >
> > bufferlo
> > activities
> > burly
>
> After a quick look at source code of activities I see that it tries hard
> to fix the bug this change fixed, there is even comments, so I suggest
> these packages adapt their bookmark code to new bookmark--jump-via, IMO
> this will reduce the code and make it simpler.
>

Thanks for taking a look.  Those are just the ones that immediately came to
mind.  There may be many other users.  I stand by my suggestions that we
either or both:

- Add defcustoms and/or defvars to control this new behavior that breaks
bookmarks.  bookmarks are *not* documented to be merely for files, not
documented to avoid window and frame behavior (some of our bookmarks also
perform frame operations compounding the issue with this new behavior).

- Add bookmark-record properties/keys to control bookmark behavior so that
bookmark-record-make functions can decide for themselves which behavior to
trigger.

- Add a defustom to set the default display-func so that
pop-to-buffer-same-window can be overridden.  I consider that this is
missing as an oversight in the implementation that does not forbid common
use cases for which bookmarks have been adopted.

I'm happy to submit patches for this to make everyone's bookmark use more
general and less painful.  In the same vein, I've submitted patches to
correct an oversight in window-state-get that makes using bookmark-records
that contain window-state objects more reliable.

Don't you agree this is a better approach than a wholesale behavior change?