Subject: RE: bug#7533: 24.0.50; `dired-mark-pop-up': delete frame afterwards if `pop-up-frames'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:10:38 -0700

>  >> Have you set `frame-auto-hide-function' to `delete-frame'?
>  >
>  > In my own setup, yes.  No doubt that is why I don't have a 
>  > problem with it.
> 
> So it worked without my patch?

Sorry.  I forgot that my setup includes the fix I proposed, as well as
`delete-frame' as the value of `frame-auto-hide-function'.

Without my fix and without your patch, just having `delete-frame' as the value
of `frame-auto-hide-function' was not adequate.  Same behavior as
`iconify-frame'.

Without my fix and with your patch, even having `iconify-frame' as the value of
`frame-auto-hide-function' was adequate.  So I probably have some other code
that takes care of the iconify/delete thing somewhere.

In sum, your patch (or mine), plus `delete-frame' as the value of
`frame-auto-hide-function', is adequate.  Without one of those patches, no value
of `frame-auto-hide-function' makes a difference.

For emacs -Q:

Without my fix and with your patch the frame is iconified, without changing
`frame-auto-hide-function'.

Without my fix and with your patch the frame is deleted, if
`frame-auto-hide-function' is `delete-frame'.

My point was that users should not have to customize this option just to fix
this regression.  It is reasonable for a user to prefer iconifying for frames
that s?he wants to keep, but still, naturally, want this frame to be deleted, as
it has no reason for being anymore.

If you were not averse to binding a user option for a local use, perhaps you
could just bind `frame-auto-hide-function' to `delete-frame' for the duration of
the command.  That should DTRT, and such a temporary binding should not bother
anyone (IMHO).