Subject: 31.0.50; ERC 5.6.1-git: M-TAB not autocorrecting with erc-spelling module and flyspell

From: Trevor Arjeski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2025 01:10:48 +0300

When using the erc-spelling module, pressing M-TAB to autocorrect a word
does not trigger autocorrection, but using C-. or C-; does, even when
`flyspell-use-meta-tab' is enabled.

Minimal config:

(use-package erc
  :config
  (setopt erc-modules '(spelling))
  (erc-spelling-mode))

1. Open an erc buffer
2. Type 'thier' and hit M-TAB
3. Notice it passes through to ispell - perhaps due to the command
passthrough in `flyspell-auto-correct-word'.

Setting `flyspell-generic-check-word-predicate' to nil in the erc buffer
resolves the issue, but we lose verification that is done in
`erc-spelling-flyspell-verify'.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2024-12-31 built on trevarch
Repository revision: 2f1052d9b0de551dc3a463ed54e21c63517497ab
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101015
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --with-native-compilation=yes --with-xinput2 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -Wno-implicit-function-declaration -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/home/trev/Workspace/emacs-git/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs-git
 -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed
 -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-nicks-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-scrolltobottom-mode: t
  erc-imenu-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-button--phantom-users-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  envrc-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  ws-butler-mode: t
  global-treesit-auto-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  undo-fu-session-global-mode: t
  undo-fu-session-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d//lisp/aoc hides /home/trev/.emacs.d/elpa/aoc-1.0.0/aoc
~/.emacs.d//lisp/launch-program hides /home/trev/.emacs.d/elpa/launch-program-1.0.0/launch-program
~/.emacs.d//lisp/my-secrets hides /home/trev/.emacs.d/elpa/my-secrets-1.0.0/my-secrets
/home/trev/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20241201.1616/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine misearch multi-isearch pulse
bug-reference eglot external-completion jsonrpc flymake ert pcase
c++-ts-mode c-ts-mode c-ts-common xref undo-fu shortdoc project consult
bookmark ace-window avy jka-compr comp comp-cstr warnings comp-run
comp-common thingatpt helpful cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs trace cl-print
edebug debug backtrace info-look find-func f help-fns radix-tree
elisp-refs s orderless cape-char cape network-stream nsm erc-track
erc-spelling flyspell ispell erc-ring erc-nicks erc-netsplit erc-menu
erc-match erc-list erc-goodies erc-imenu imenu erc-pcomplete pcomplete
erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-join my-secrets cus-start epa-file erc
format-spec erc-backend erc-networks erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs
mule-util rainbow-mode envrc diff-hl-flydiff diff diff-hl log-view
log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader add-log pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-git diff-mode
track-changes files-x vc-dispatcher paredit display-line-numbers rx
ligature rainbow-delimiters format-all language-id inheritenv init gnus
nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
cus-edit pp ws-butler treesit-auto treesit corfu-popupinfo corfu
marginalia savehist vertico compat autoinsert grep compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring cus-load finder-inf
undo-fu-session which-key diminish edmacro kmacro elec-pair autorevert
filenotify desktop frameset recentf tree-widget wid-edit saveplace
nord-theme autothemer color lisp-mnt dash use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode package browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt url-vars cl-macs gv
cl-extra help-mode cl-seq use-package-core cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile info 2048-game-autoloads ace-window-autoloads aoc-autoloads
autothemer-autoloads avy-autoloads cape-autoloads consult-autoloads
corfu-autoloads debbugs-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads diminish-autoloads
elfeed-autoloads envrc-autoloads format-all-autoloads
geiser-guile-autoloads geiser-autoloads git-modes-autoloads
heap-autoloads helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads f-autoloads
ht-autoloads inheritenv-autoloads language-id-autoloads
launch-program-autoloads leetcode-autoloads aio-autoloads
ligature-autoloads log4e-autoloads magit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads marginalia-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads memoize-autoloads my-secrets-autoloads
nerd-icons-dired-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads orderless-autoloads
paredit-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads
request-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads s-autoloads sly-autoloads
transient-autoloads treesit-auto-autoloads undo-fu-autoloads
undo-fu-session-autoloads vertico-autoloads vterm-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads ws-butler-autoloads early-init rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 712889 485226) (symbols 48 29999 54) (strings 32 127367 16380)
 (string-bytes 1 4530868) (vectors 16 60916) (vector-slots 8 1489370 389695)
 (floats 8 497 1213) (intervals 56 25972 6388) (buffers 992 41))