Subject: bug#75322: SAFE_ALLOCA assumed to root Lisp_Objects/SSDATA(string)

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 15:54:07 +0000

"Eli Zaretskii" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As long as you think MPS requires us to avoid GC in this case (this is
>> implied by "we must do this or that after GC"), your understanding of
>> how scratch/igc uses MPS is fundamentally incorrect.
>
> Maybe my understanding is incorrect, but this style of "discussion",
> where you are working hard to prove at all costs that I misunderstand
> the issues and to point out my mistakes, contributes nothing at all to
> understanding.  It only contributes to confusion.

I thought it was the only way for me to get you to even consider the
possibility that your ideas of how GC works with MPS may need to be
corrected.  Given your message, I currently think there is no way for me
to do so at all.

I give up.  (Certainly on this discussion, maybe on scratch/igc, who
knows.)

The MPS-based GC in scratch/igc does not allow or require general Emacs
C code to make "no GC here" assumptions.

Pip