Subject: bug#75314: 28.2; tramp-error: Invalid function: "with-tramp-connection-property"

From: Jason Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2025 23:51:44 -0700

Tramp is failing to do anything and has worked in the past on different
installations.

When I attempt to use M-x find-file /ssh:name@host: ENT it will fault
with

tramp-error: Invalid function: "with-tramp-connection-property"

without fail. invoking M-x find-file /doas: ENT has no response and
treats the input 'doas:' as a literal file.

My config looks like this:

(use-package tramp :straight t)
(require 'tramp)
(add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
              (list (regexp-quote "/ssh:[email-masked]:")
                    "remote-shell" "/bin/bashsh"))

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38, 
cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2024-06-24, modified by Debian built on x86-conova-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201009
System Description: Devuan GNU/Linux 5 (daedalus)

Configured using:
  'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
  --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
  --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
  --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-28.2+1=. 
-fstack-protector-strong
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: C
   locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
   erc-track-mode: t
   erc-track-minor-mode: t
   erc-ring-mode: t
   erc-netsplit-mode: t
   erc-menu-mode: t
   erc-match-mode: t
   erc-list-mode: t
   erc-irccontrols-mode: t
   erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
   erc-readonly-mode: t
   erc-imenu-mode: t
   erc-pcomplete-mode: t
   erc-button-mode: t
   erc-fill-mode: t
   erc-stamp-mode: t
   erc-autojoin-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
   display-line-numbers-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   global-tempel-abbrev-mode: t
   tempel-abbrev-mode: t
   override-global-mode: t
   emms-mode-line-mode: t
   emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
   emms-playing-time-mode: t
   erc-networks-mode: t
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   ws-butler-global-mode: t
   ws-butler-mode: t
   global-undo-tree-mode: t
   undo-tree-mode: t
   amx-mode: t
   keyfreq-mode: t
   xah-fly-keys: t
   straight-use-package-mode: t
   straight-package-neutering-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/vterm/vterm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/vterm-0.0.2/vterm
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/vterm/vterm-autoloads hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/vterm-0.0.2/vterm-autoloads
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/vterm/vterm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/vterm-0.0.2/vterm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/vterm-0.0.2/vterm-pkg hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/vterm-0.0.2/vterm-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/vterm-0.0.2/vterm-load-path hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/vterm-0.0.2/vterm-load-path
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/vterm/vterm-autoloads hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/vterm-0.0.2/vterm-autoloads
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/transient/transient hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/trampver hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/trampver
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-uu hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-uu
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-sudoedit hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-sudoedit
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-sshfs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-sshfs
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-smb hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-smb
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-sh hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-sh
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-rclone hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-rclone
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-integration hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-integration
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-gvfs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-gvfs
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-fuse hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-fuse
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-ftp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-ftp
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-crypt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-crypt
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-compat hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-compat
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-cmds hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-cmds
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-cache hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-cache
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-archive hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-archive
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/tramp/tramp-adb hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/net/tramp-adb
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-xdcc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-xdcc
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-truncate hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-truncate
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-track hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-track
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-status-sidebar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-status-sidebar
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-stamp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-stamp
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-spelling hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-spelling
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-speedbar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-speedbar
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-sound hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-sound
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-services hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-services
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-ring hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-ring
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-replace hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-replace
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-pcomplete hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-pcomplete
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-page hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-page
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-notify hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-notify
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-networks hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-networks
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-netsplit hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-netsplit
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-menu hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-menu
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-match hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-match
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-log hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-log
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-loaddefs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-loaddefs
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-list hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-list
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-lang hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-lang
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-join hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-join
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-imenu hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-imenu
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-identd hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-identd
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-ibuffer hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-ibuffer
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-goodies hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-goodies
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-fill hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-fill
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-ezbounce hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-ezbounce
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-desktop-notifications 
hides /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-desktop-notifications
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-dcc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-dcc
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-compat hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-compat
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-capab hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-capab
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-button hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-button
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-backend hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-backend
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/erc/erc-autoaway hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/erc/erc-autoaway
/home/jason/.config/emacs/straight/build/seq/seq hides 
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug sendmail minibuf-eldef facemenu two-column
tramp-sh jka-compr tramp-cache time-stamp cus-edit cus-start cus-load
gnutls network-stream nsm erc-track erc-ring erc-netsplit erc-menu
erc-match erc-list erc-goodies erc-imenu erc-pcomplete erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp erc-join volume-mode recentf tree-widget wid-edit
display-line-numbers delsel wheatgrass-theme time astyle epa-aux
epa-file eradio-mode kill-all autosave encoding infer-indentation-style
reload-init-file emms-user-mode emacs-utils init-benchmarking init-utils
tempel tempel-autoloads use-package-bind-key bind-key xlsp xlsp-xref
xref xlsp-server xlsp-company company-capf xlsp-handle-notification
xlsp-handle-request xlsp-struct xlsp-utils xlsp-rpc project
emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi emms-idapi-musicbrainz emms-mpris dbus
emms-librefm-stream xml emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-volume emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl
emms-volume-pulse emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played
emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams
emms-show-all emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file thingatpt
locate emms-setup jazz-theme jazz-theme-autoloads gruvbox-theme gruvbox
autothemer lisp-mnt gruvbox-theme-autoloads autothemer-autoloads
crontab-mode sh-script smie executable crontab-mode-autoloads erc
erc-backend erc-networks erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs
erc-autoloads vterm magit-bookmark bookmark pp face-remap compile color
term ehelp find-func vterm-module term/xterm xterm vterm-autoloads emms
emms-compat emms-autoloads hexrgb hexrgb-autoloads tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat parse-time iso8601
tramp-autoloads company company-autoloads pcase magit-submodule
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit package browse-url
url-handlers magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func
imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff-mode git-commit log-edit easy-mmode
message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete
comint ring server ansi-color magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base
magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor crm seq seq-25 loadhist dash
compat compat-29 magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads
dash-autoloads compat-autoloads seq-autoloads ws-butler
ws-butler-autoloads undo-tree diff queue undo-tree-autoloads
queue-autoloads ido amx s amx-autoloads s-autoloads 0x0 url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars mailcap 0x0-autoloads keyfreq
keyfreq-autoloads finder-inf xah-fly-keys edmacro kmacro dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs xah-fly-keys-autoloads use-package-core straight-init
use-package-autoloads info bind-key-autoloads straight-autoloads
straight comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv
disp-table early-init iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 776186 624406)
  (symbols 48 37719 1794)
  (strings 32 166806 121866)
  (string-bytes 1 6508565)
  (vectors 16 70606)
  (vector-slots 8 1819923 694271)
  (floats 8 431 1433)
  (intervals 56 2353 974)
  (buffers 992 23))