Subject: 29.4; sshfs fails to mount when run by eshell and -f isn't passed

From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2025 16:37:37 -0500

Hi all,

When sshfs is invoked by eshell and allowed to daemonize (default),
sshfs fails to mount the desired target directory. This seems to be
caused by a SIGTERM signal being sent after sshfs daemonizes and enters
the main fuse loop. (The return value of fuse_loop_mt is 15, which
matches the return value when the process actually receives SIGTERM.
Confirmed both by testing and documentation at [1].)

If I set process-connection-type to nil, sshfs works as expected. This
isn't ideal because it can cause breakage elsewhere (e.g. ripgrep).

This issue sounds similar to a previous one with xdg-open [2].
However, xdg-open's behavior seems to have been fixed in Emacs 29 ($
xdg-open file.txt works on my machine), while this bug is present on 29.

For what it's worth, the problem also occurs when sshfs is invoked by a
wrapper script and not eshell directly.

Tested in -Q.

[1]: https://libfuse.github.io/doxygen/fuse-3_810_84_2include_2fuse__lowlevel_8h.html#a5f1e538aa3287e251afbe985438c4249
[2]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2022-11/msg01768.html

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
cairo version 1.18.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101014
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/6nqyia3ra10sgd1ppzk2047ncbzjwhff-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/6nqyia3ra10sgd1ppzk2047ncbzjwhff-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/qyny35x285i7pcfhysvlhcfznkrznjfc-emacs-29.4
 --enable-fast-install --with-cairo --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/richard/.guix-home/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/qyny35x285i7pcfhysvlhcfznkrznjfc-emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-notifications-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-global-mode: t
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-mode: t
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  all-the-icons-completion-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  eat-eshell-mode: t
  eat--eshell-local-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/gnu/store/zjb0j6cfjrp5qwp40yyz6jg1ch2dmcqm-emacs-transient-0.8.1/share/emacs/site-lisp/transient-0.8.1/transient hides /gnu/store/qyny35x285i7pcfhysvlhcfznkrznjfc-emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/transient
/gnu/store/8pr1yy7pcai1g1r52c2xcha58nmbi32a-emacs-soap-client-3.2.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-inspect hides /gnu/store/qyny35x285i7pcfhysvlhcfznkrznjfc-emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/gnu/store/8pr1yy7pcai1g1r52c2xcha58nmbi32a-emacs-soap-client-3.2.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-client hides /gnu/store/qyny35x285i7pcfhysvlhcfznkrznjfc-emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pcmpl-unix gdb-mi gud mhtml-mode css-mode eww url-queue
shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file mm-url js c-ts-common sgml-mode facemenu
rst macrostep-c cmacexp macrostep cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs find-dired cl-print
hippie-exp erc-desktop-notifications notifications tabify man ruby-mode
puni pulse erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-pcomplete erc-track
erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-services
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-networks erc-common erc-compat
erc-loaddefs consult-xref vc-git epa-file gnutls network-stream
mailalias textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check mail-extr em-xtra display-line-numbers bluetooth-battery
misearch multi-isearch wdired shortdoc sh-script smie treesit executable
embark-org embark-consult embark ffap cape ace-window avy mule-util
consult magit-bookmark bookmark emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi
emms-idapi-musicbrainz emms-mpris emms-librefm-stream
emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history
emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat tramp-cmds tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh
eshell-syntax-highlighting em-unix em-term em-script em-prompt em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs em-basic em-banner
em-alias em-tramp eshell cal-iso face-remap org-agenda org-element
org-persist xdg org-id avl-tree org-refile ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs ol org-fold org-fold-core org-compat org-version org-macs
rainbow-delimiters hl-line rs-utils rs-ui all-the-icons-completion
all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons
data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons which-key
doom-dracula-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base time rs-tools ediff
ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util bluetooth bluetooth-plugin bluetooth-uuid bluetooth-pa
bluetooth-device bluetooth-lib let-alist daemons calc calc-loaddefs rect
calc-macs rs-smtp smtpmail rs-skeleton rs-navigation rs-media doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif rs-magit magit-extras magit-submodule
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit package
url-handlers magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func
magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util
add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor magit-mode benchmark magit-git magit-base
magit-section cursor-sensor crm rs-integrations debbugs soap-client
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp
debbugs-compat rs-ide eglot external-completion array jsonrpc ert ewoc
debug backtrace flymake-proc flymake imenu rs-ibuffer rs-guix rs-project
rs-eshell diminish esh-var esh-mode esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc
esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util eat term disp-table ehelp
use-package-diminish rs-erc rs-epg rs-elfeed rs-editing rg vc
vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack rg-menu rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg
rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs cus-edit wgrep
grep elec-pair ispell rs-dired ls-lisp dired-x dired-aux rs-core server
autorevert filenotify delsel comp comp-cstr warnings
exec-path-from-shell rs-constants battery dbus rs-completion kind-icon
svg-lib svg dom color corfu-popupinfo corfu orderless savehist
marginalia vertico rs-auth-source auth-source-pass rs-typescript rs-text
rs-scheme skeleton geiser-guile info-look info geiser geiser-debug
geiser-repl geiser-image geiser-capf geiser-doc geiser-menu
geiser-autodoc geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-eval
geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-impl help-fns
radix-tree geiser-log geiser-popup view geiser-custom geiser-base
rs-rust rs-ruby rs-python rs-org plantuml-mode xml use-package-bind-key
bind-key rs-elisp rs-docker docker docker-context docker-volume
docker-network docker-image docker-container docker-faces docker-core
docker-compose docker-process docker-utils tablist advice tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 docker-group transient pcase format-spec edmacro kmacro dash aio
s rs-csharp rs-cl slime easy-mmode apropos compile etags fileloop
generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core json map byte-opt url-vars rs-nnrss rs-gnus nnmail gnus-int
mail-source gnus-range message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit cus-load no-littering compat compat-30 cl-macs gv
cl-extra help-mode cl-seq use-package-core cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile markdown-mode-autoloads nhexl-mode-autoloads
lorem-ipsum-autoloads geiser-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads
plantuml-mode-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
docker-compose-mode-autoloads dockerfile-mode-autoloads
json-snatcher-autoloads json-mode-autoloads rx js2-mode-autoloads
simple-httpd-autoloads skewer-mode-autoloads aio-autoloads
docker-autoloads web-mode-autoloads macrostep-autoloads slime-autoloads
which-key-autoloads moody-autoloads doom-themes-autoloads
shrink-path-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads
diminish-autoloads beacon-autoloads all-the-icons-completion-autoloads
memoize-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads bluetooth-autoloads
password-store-autoloads pass-autoloads daemons-autoloads
embark-autoloads popup-autoloads f-autoloads dumb-jump-autoloads
avy-autoloads ace-window-autoloads emms-autoloads tablist-autoloads
pdf-tools-autoloads transient-autoloads dash-autoloads magit-autoloads
soap-client-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads eat-autoloads elfeed-autoloads
s-autoloads rg-autoloads wgrep-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
async-autoloads puni-autoloads dirvish-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads no-littering-autoloads cape-autoloads
consult-autoloads marginalia-autoloads orderless-autoloads
vertico-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads kind-icon-autoloads compat-autoloads
corfu-autoloads guix-emacs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1563370 217768)
 (symbols 48 56436 30)
 (strings 32 264488 14574)
 (string-bytes 1 12270036)
 (vectors 16 150527)
 (vector-slots 8 3129955 347518)
 (floats 8 1229 1043)
 (intervals 56 81675 8792)
 (buffers 984 107))

-- 
Take it easy,
Richard Sent
Making my computer weirder one commit at a time.