Subject: bug#75290: Fwd: remove-pos-from-symbol and bare-symbol

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2025 11:22:44 -0600

Severity: wishlist

I'm forwarding this to the bug tracker so that we don't lose track of
it.  Alan, any comments here?

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: remove-pos-from-symbol and bare-symbol
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:39:23 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

The doc string of remove-pos-from-symbol says to compare it with
bare-symbol.  The doc strings are too sketchy to make clear what the
difference is.  Someone who knows should make that clear.

Is the difference what they do to an argument that is not a symbol?
If so, it would be good to state that explicitly in the doc string
of bare-symbol.  "If need be" is not explicit, not concrete.

I tried looking at the macros they call, which are in lisp.h.  But
those don't have doc strings and just call other functions that have
no comments to say what they do.

The macros and inline functions in lisp.h need to be documented there.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

-------------------- End of forwarded message --------------------