Subject: Re: Request for merging "python-team" branch

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2025 11:32:19 +0100

Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I see that we have Python 3.12, but let's please target 3.11 first.
>> It's a small step up from 3.10, and we already know of packages that
>> won't work with 3.12.  Let's keep the next iteration of this branch
>> simple, please.
>
> While refreshing (now) packages from astronomy module I've faced wit few
> failing to build due to hard requirement of Python3.11+ and NumPy 1.27+
> or 2.0+ which don't have yet.
>
> I've got a chance to to refresh NumPy to 1.24 but any farther version
> failed to build (see notes on the package).
>
> May we give it one more go with NumPy and friends?

I'd like to avoid the kind of sprawling upgrade chain reactions that
we've encountered in the most recent iteration.  My hope is that we've
already upgraded the most important and deeply rooted packages so that
an upgrade to numpy won't lead to an upgrade storm.

Please keep it at Numpy 1.x, though.  As with Pandas I think it makes
sense to first add an extra package for 2.x so that we can use package
transformations to test the impact before switching the default.

Let's open a new issue for the next iteration.

-- 
Ricardo