Subject: Re: [bug#75246] Request for merging "python-team" branch

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2025 14:07:40 +0100

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 01, 2025 at 06:58:58PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> The python-team branch is currently tracking the rust-team branch,
>> because it depends on changes there.  It is shaping up nicely and we
>> hope to be able to merge it some time soon.
>
> I think that we should be bold in merging the branch if there are only
> scattered problems.

We had not been able to figure out if there really are only scattered
problems.  Just a few days ago we had to do another world rebuild due to
an upgrade of a small package close to the root of the Python test
graph.  But from what I can tell in test builds of real-world
environments we're in good shape.

> Already we have had large parts of the Python package graph failing to
> build on master (including most of the scientific and numerical
> packages), and it was at least partly fixed by cherry-picking from
> python-team.

I'm pretty much done with what I set out to fix.  Now it's up to the
build farms to successfully complete the evaluations.  I'd like to merge
this all on Monday if the build farms cooperate.

...and then I'd like to start a new shortlived python-team branch with
an upgrade from Python 3.10 to 3.11.

-- 
Ricardo