Subject: [bug#75246] Request for merging "python-team" branch

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2025 04:24:22 +0000

jgart via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> writes:

> One issue with QA that confuses me though is when it says unknown. For example, here:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/75635
>
> What does "unknown" mean? Abort looking at QA?
>
> If the correct response, then, now there's no QA for 75635? ;()

The overall status is a summary, there should be more information on the
relevant QA page for that issue. Currently on that page [1] the thing
highlighted in red reads:

  Builds for this patch series not yet submitted as master branch
  substitute availability is low for: aarch64-linux armhf-linux
  i686-linux x86_64-linux

1: https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/75635

If you look at the page, QA does actually have some information,
e.g. how many rebuilds there are and some information on lint warnings
to, but it can't give an overall status because it is missing build
information for both the master branch and the state after applying the
patches (the "Unknown" column in the "Package changes" table).

Currently my approach so far has been that QA shouldn't be a blocker,
e.g. if it doesn't give the OK then that's not something you have to
wait for, but given how the bordeaux build farm has been struggling to
keep up recently I'm starting to think that if people don't start
waiting for QA, substitute availability might never catch up so the
bordeaux build farm is always going to be behind and therefore QA will
be unable to actually provide any information.