Subject: bug#75219: 31.0.50; mouse-2 mode-line binding overridden by mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2025 20:51:36 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2025 13:10:45 -0500
> 
> > So if POSITION is a mouse click event, click_position will always
> > return the position of point.
> 
> Yeah, we pay attention to the "window" part of the posn but not the
> rest.  🙁
> 
> > Stefan, any ideas or suggestions?
> 
> Maybe something like the patch below, but maybe we should call
> `posn-point` instead?

It shouldn't be hard to find a solution along these lines, but what
bothers me is how many Lisp code out there relies on this strange
"fallback"?

Also, for clicks on mode line there will be no buffer position in the
event, and then it sounds like your patch will again fall back on
returning point?  I thought that clicks on the mode line should
examine local keymaps only on the mode-line's string at the click,
don't you agree?