Subject: Re: bug#7521: 24.0.50; doc for `delimit-columns-*'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 21:08:23 -0400

>> > You cannot understand a thing about commands 
>> > `delimit-columns-region' and `delimit-columns-rectangle'
>> > without reading the commentary in Lisp
>> > file delim-col.el.  In sum, there is no help for users - no doc.
>> I suspect that the workings of delim-col.el are too complicated to be
>> explained in a doc string for any of the commands.  If these commands
>> are to be useful to users, I think the proper solution is to document
>> them in the elisp manual.
> You might be right; I really don't know.  My take is that these things
> are explained in the source-code comments, and that this info needs to
> be made available to users via help/doc.  If the details get
> transferred to the manual, OK.

The Elisp manual does not document all Elisp features and packages.
Some packages come with their own manual, and others put their
documentation in the Commentary section.

IOW, I think the current situation where the doc for delim-col.el is in
the Commentary section is "about right".  I know that the commentary
section may seem "hidden away in the source", but the solution is not to
move it elsewhere, but to make it easier to access the Commentary section.

        Stefan