Subject: Re: bug#75209: 30.0.93; Emacs reader failed to read data in "/home/nlj/.cache/org-persist/gc-lock.eld"

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2025 18:06:04 +0000

"N. Jackson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes.  Unfortunately I can report that when I woke my system from
> suspend this morning I saw the bug -- after about eleven days.  So I
> can say that the patch I showed above (that tests doing an atomic
> write by renaming a temporary file) is not sufficient.

This is strange. Was it still "end of file while reading"?

>> I recommend following https://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html
>> In particular, the part about installing Org from git repository.
>
> If the presence of the bug were something that could be tested in a
> few minutes, I would be happy to test with Org mainline.  But the
> bug takes several days (or weeks) to manifest.  That would mean I
> would have to run the bleeding edge version of Org for my everyday
> tasks and I just wouldn't be comfortable not using a version that's
> been released and tested, because Org is critical to organising and
> scheduling everything in my world.

Well. I was hoping that e095d269e2 could improve the situation for
you. At least, it should reduce the frequency of the observed problem.

> Also, even if I did run Org mainline and after a suitable period of
> testing the bug seemed to be gone, where would that leave us in
> Emacs 30?

Emacs 30 will have to live with this bug. It is not critical, but the
fixes are not exactly trivial. And we do not usually install non-trivial
fixes onto release branch unless those fixes are against critical bugs.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode maintainer,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>