Subject: bug#75209: 30.0.93; Emacs reader failed to read data in "/home/nlj/.cache/org-persist/gc-lock.eld"

From: "N. Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2025 13:34:10 +0000

At 18:48 +0000 on Monday 2024-12-30, N. Jackson wrote:
>
> In the Emacs 30 pretest I have been getting the following warning
> every few days:
>
>   Warning (emacs): Emacs reader failed to read data in
>   "/home/nlj/.cache/org-persist/gc-lock.eld". The error was: "End of
>   file during parsing"

When I woke my system from suspend this morning and switched to the
Emacs session running Gnus, the warning had popped up in that
session -- possibly during suspend or resume.

I immediately looked at gc-lock.eld which contained this:

  ;;   -*- mode: lisp-data; -*-
  (((26485 51608 866710 15000) 26486 34929 321731 426000))

(which I guess is again unremarkable).

I checked my buffer list to be absolutely certain that I hadn't
opened any Org Mode files and the only buffers were *Group*,
*scratch*, *Messages*, .newsrc-dribble, and *Warnings*.

The session has one frame and in that frame there was just the Gnus
Group buffer open (until the *Warnings* buffer popped up below it).

With Gnus sitting idle with just it's Group buffer open, I can't see
how it would use any Org Mode features -- or even _do_ anything at
all -- and as I said, no Org Mode (user) files were open in the
session.