Subject: bug#75207: closed (Re: bug#75207: Fwd: bug#75207: 29.4; Path conversion from native codepage to UTF-8 fails when Windows is set by default to UTF-8)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2025 05:59:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75207: 29.4; Path conversion from native codepage to UTF-8 fails when Windows is set by default to UTF-8

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75207: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75207
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75207: Fwd: bug#75207: 29.4; Path conversion from native codepage to UTF-8 fails when Windows is set by default to UTF-8
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2025 07:58:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2025 17:37:34 +0000
> From: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > This still stands: to fully test the patch, please change your system codepage
> > after building Emacs and then start Emacs and see if everything works as
> > expected.
> 
> Done, looks like that fixed the issue :-).

Thanks for testing, I therefore installed the changes on the master
branch, and I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 29.4; Path conversion from native codepage to UTF-8 fails when Windows is set by default to UTF-8
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2024 12:12:02 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs generates gibberish UTF-8 characters during conversion from native
codepage to UTF-8 if experimental default UTF-8 codepage is set on
Windows.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-07-05 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22631
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Education (v10.0.2009.22631.4602)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-sqlite3 --with-tree-sitter
 CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENG
  locale-coding-system: cp65001

Major mode: recentf-dialog

Minor modes in effect:
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  nyan-mode: t
  fido-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/Michał/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20241102.1229/transient hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/transient
c:/Users/Michał/.emacs.d/elpa/standard-themes-2.1.0/theme-loaddefs hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils eldoc-box high-theme company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator xref project
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company nyan-mode icomplete
display-line-numbers recentf tree-widget wid-edit easy-mmode
display-fill-column-indicator jai-mode derived compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring js c-ts-common
treesit imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs theme-switcher finder-inf
almost-mono-themes-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site
centered-window-autoloads cmake-mode-autoloads company-autoloads
dtrt-indent-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads eldoc-box-autoloads
erlang-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
gruber-darker-theme-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads latex-preview-pane-autoloads magit-autoloads
pcase magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
merlin-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads nyan-mode-autoloads
powershell-autoloads projectile-autoloads rg-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads standard-themes-autoloads swift-mode-autoloads
transient-autoloads tuareg-autoloads rx caml-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
white-sand-theme-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads zig-mode-autoloads reformatter-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 185675 75051)
 (symbols 48 14661 7)
 (strings 32 55444 14585)
 (string-bytes 1 1821337)
 (vectors 16 27409)
 (vector-slots 8 520326 162526)
 (floats 8 83 1011)
 (intervals 56 494 150)
 (buffers 984 11))