Subject: bug#7518: image-dired defcustom'd paths

From: MON KEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:40:59 -0500

current through bzr revision 102504

Now that ImageMagick libs are accessble to Emacs24 maybe more users
will be using image-dired.

The defcustom form for variables

`image-dired-dir',
`image-dired-db-file',
`image-dired-temp-image-file',
`image-dired-gallery-dir'
`image-dired-temp-rotate-image-file',

each evaluate `locate-user-emacs-file' when binding their default path
values.

There is something wrong about this.

AFAIK `image-dired' isn't loaded by default. Why should _each_ of
these variables elevate to creation of a `user-emacs-directory'
if/when one doesn't already exit? By the time (require 'image-dired)
gets evaluated shouldnt' `user-emacs-directory' already be well
established?

At best only `image-dired-dir' should need to to this and even then it
is suspect. Maybe the rest of the do somethign more like:

(make-directory
 (expand-file-name "some/path-for/image-dired-var" image-dired-dir))

or, respectively:

(make-directory
 (expand-file-name "some/path-for/image-dired-var" image-dired-dir) t)

Also, w/re those of the above variables which bind directory paths for
a temporary files, e.g.:

 `image-dired-temp-image-file' and `image-dired-temp-rotate-image-file'

Why not just use `temporary-file-directory' and/or
`small-temporary-file-directory' as the base paths?

--
/s_P\