Subject: Re: bug#75170: add-to-alist: new function

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2025 14:34:48 -0600

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2025 13:41:17 -0600
>>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>>
>>> I believe that the "contains both associations" part is what will risk
>>> confusing some users.  It's not a given that they know that the first
>>> one is the one that will be used.  It could just as easily have been the
>>> last one, for example.
>>
>> And yet add-to-list is exactly what we tell users to use, see the node
>> (emacs) Frame Parameters.
>
> I'm personally on the fence about this addition.  I see good arguments
> both for and against.
>
> Given your doubts, maybe we should close this as a wontfix.

I sent that too soon.  It should have read:

    Given your doubts, and the controversy around this, maybe we should
    close this as a wontfix.