Subject: [bug#75146] [PATCH v0 00/15] XFCE: Move source from generated archive to git.

From: Ashvith Shetty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2024 06:51:57 +0000

Hello,

On Mon, Dec 30, 2024 at 2:49 AM 宋文武 <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello, could you explain more about those inconsistency and missing
> files?

For example, Thunar's `make check`
<https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/-/issues/1516> did not run tests for
the archive, as
opposed to git as the source. Only after switching to git was I able to
catch how one of  the abicheck tests were broken. Now, this has been
resolved in a future version, but given how it would be highly unlikely to
catch these issues via archive as the source, I thought that it was better
if
we made use of git instead.

> Build from git is more expensive than tarballs, as it download
> more and need more dependencies.

Another issue with archive as the source is that the archive includes files
that
have been generated on another system via the git repository. For git,
since
we are building directly from the repo itself, I believe that it would be a
right
pick. Or maybe we can switch to downloading the tag-specific archive from
git itself?

> This package is still useful for GTK2 applications, we could update its
> description and move it into 'gtk.scm' to avoid some confusions.

>From the data on Repology, it looks like this package has been removed
from most of the other distributions out there. I've also come across other
gtk2 engines that could be used in its place, like murrine, pixbuf and
aurora.

What do you think?

Regards,
Ashvith