Subject: [bug#75145] [PATCH v5] services: network-manager: Add extra-configuration-files field.

From: Arnaud Daby-Seesaram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2025 15:39:59 +0100

Hi,

Thank you for the v5.  The patch applies cleanly on master, and works as
expected.  I have one remark left (it's the last one, I promise :/).

45mg <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/services/networking.scm (<network-manager-configuration>)
> [extra-configuration-files]: New field.
> (network-manager-activation): Honor the new field.
> * doc/guix.texi (Networking Setup): Document the new field.
>
> Change-Id: I07479958e4d0aa318328c666a9630b779230b300
> ---
>  doc/guix.texi               | 23 +++++++++++++++++++++++
>  gnu/services/networking.scm | 13 +++++++++++--
>  2 files changed, 34 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

- the configuration snippet of the documentation indeed adds files with
  the right content and names in /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d,

- the directory conf.d is no longer created when empty,

- the man page mentioned in the documentation is correct,

- last remark (non-blocking):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
     (service network-manager-service-type
              (network-manager-configuration
               (extra-configuration-files
                `(("existing-file" ,(local-file "001-basic.conf"))
                  ("constructed-file" ,(plain-file "002-unmanaged.conf"
                                                   "[keyfile]
     unmanaged-devices=interface-name:wlo1_ap
     "))))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

adds files named "existing-file" and "constructed-file".  This is the
expected behaviour (explained in the doc).  However, the example is
introduced by:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
For example, to add two files ‘001-basic.conf’ and
‘002-unmanaged.conf’:
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This may seem counter-intuitive to some readers.

Best regards,

-- 
Arnaud