Subject: [bug#75145] [PATCH v2 0/1] services: network-manager: Add extra-configuration-files field.

From: 45mg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2025 12:24:30 +0000

Hi Guix,

As the first revision of this patch failed to get any attention in two weeks,
I'm CC'ing guix-devel on this one, hoping it'll get reviewed this time. Let me
know if I should have done anything differently; I'm still relatively new to
contributing.

This patch allows users to specify configuration files for NetworkManager.
While perhaps it would be more Guix-y to instead have a field in
`network-manager-configuration` for every configuration option, this would be
a monumental undertaking (look at the number of options listed in
NetworkManager.conf(5)!). At any rate, I think any means of configuring
NetworkManager is better than none.

The difference from the first revision is that instead of specifying a single
directory (file-like object) containing the configuration files (which was
then symlinked to /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d), you now specify an alist
mapping file names to file-like objects, like with `etc-service-type`; and
those are then added to /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d. The rationale behind this
change is that it doesn't rule out putting our own stuff in
/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d. For example, if we wanted a default set of files
in there, we could modify the procedure
`network-manager-configuration-directory` to add the files supplied via the
field to our default set; in the first revision, this wouldn't be possible as
the user specifies the entire directory. (I don't know whether we'd ever
actually want to do this, but I thought it best to leave our options open.)

45mg (1):
  services: network-manager: Add extra-configuration-files field.

 doc/guix.texi               | 21 +++++++++++++++++++++
 gnu/services/networking.scm | 26 ++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 45 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: 7f27dc47c52886b785359799b6dc67b61f638544
-- 
2.47.1