Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/1] services: network-manager: Add extra-configuration-files field.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2025 21:25:11 +0100

Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]> writes:

>> instead of calling for
>>  the proliferation of private channels, a different kind of unmanageable
>>  structurelessness.
>
> not private channels, simply channels that are not owned/controlled by
> the exact same set of committers as guix proper, and not demanding the
> exact same requirements from their contributors.
>
> this may seem like nitpicking, but i think it's an important detail in this context.

Thanks for the correction.  I did mean personal channels, i.e. operated
(or abandoned) by a single person.

The guix-science collective demonstrates an alternative model, where
people of similar interest band together to provide a channel (or set of
channels) that is governed by different rules than Guix itself.  This
started out as a set of independently run channels (guix-bimsb,
guix-bimsb-nonfree, guix-science, guix-science-nonfree, guix-hpc, etc)
and is now a much more streamlined and cohesive shared effort.

I would advise against running a multitude of personal channels in favor
of collaborating with others on a much smaller number of channels -- and
ideally as a team in Guix itself.

-- 
Ricardo