Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/1] services: network-manager: Add extra-configuration-files field.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 16:47:49 +0100

Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > this patch failed to get any attention in two weeks
>>
>>
>> Two weeks isn't a long time in free software projects. A more common
>> time frame would be between one year and eighteen months.
>
>
> ...and with such a delay most patches bitrot beyond recognition, then
> after one too many burdensome rebase the contributor gives up, and
> then the whole thing gets forgotten.

I agree.  Let's not normalize long delays.
Pinging is, in fact, encouraged.

We're still in the slow process of forming self-organized teams that
cover a manageable amount of packages/files and have enough dedicated
committers to review patches.  This works fine for some of our
sub-communities, but for others it still doesn't.

Once the community grew beyond a size where I recognized each and every
contributers the problems of structurelessness have become painfully
obvious.  It is not something we want people to get used to, but it's
also not something a handful of people can fix by decree.

Speaking for myself: I burned out a few years ago and haven't recovered
even a fraction of my capacity today.  This is something we really want
to avoid, and ideally people would self-organize around committers they
know, who can champion their contributions --- instead of calling for
the proliferation of private channels, a different kind of unmanageable
structurelessness.

-- 
Ricardo