Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/1] services: network-manager: Add extra-configuration-files field.

From: 45mg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 17:43:59 +0000

Hi Guix,

I'd just like to apologise for CC'ing Guix-Devel at this point; this
patch isn't nearly critical enough to warrant the noise after two weeks'
wait - which, as Felix points out, really isn't that long in the grand
scheme of things. I got impatient; I'm sorry. I'll try to remember to
remove Guix-Devel from further replies to this Debbug.

(...but it is a good patch i promise, pls do review it so it doesnt feel
sad and neglected 🥹)

Felix Lechner <[email-masked]> writes:

> If you require that change personally, as I suspect you do, my
> recommendation would be to clone the Guix repo and pull your 'guix'
> executable from your custom branch.  For example, I have in my
> channels.scm a branch that I rebase periodically. [2]

I guess it's time for me to bite the bullet and finally do this, then :|
I had hoped to avoid the annoyance, but maybe it was inevitable. And
you're right - I do need this change personally.

I'm working on this. For anyone here who's interested, I'm currently
trying to figure out a way to have an authenticated local fork. The
current design of `guix git authenticate` prevents merging upstream into
such a fork, so this is a bit of a challenge. I've outlined an idea in
the threads linked below, which will require modifying the authorization
invariant a bit; I'll probably share the full proposal to Devel once I
have a working patch:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2023-09/msg00010.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2025-01/msg00093.html

> Pings are generally frowned upon, but I also just did it yesterday. [1]
> Pings are usually not worth it anywhere, not just in GNU Guix.  Pings
> are likely to be ineffective in hastening the acceptance of your patch
> but will almost certainly affect your social relationships negatively.

Thanks, good to know. Will try to keep that in mind. I do wish there was
something I could do to get things moving faster, but I guess this is a
limitation of projects that run on (primarily) unpaid volunteer work :/