Subject: [bug#75145] [PATCH v2 0/1] services: network-manager: Add extra-configuration-files field.

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2025 11:34:12 -0800

Hi 45mg,

On Thu, Jan 09 2025, 45mg wrote:

> this patch failed to get any attention in two weeks

Two weeks isn't a long time in free software projects.  A more common
time frame would be between one year and eighteen months.

> I'm CC'ing guix-devel on this one

Pings are generally frowned upon, but I also just did it yesterday. [1]
Pings are usually not worth it anywhere, not just in GNU Guix.  Pings
are likely to be ineffective in hastening the acceptance of your patch
but will almost certainly affect your social relationships negatively.

> This patch allows users to specify configuration files for NetworkManager.

If you require that change personally, as I suspect you do, my
recommendation would be to clone the Guix repo and pull your 'guix'
executable from your custom branch.  For example, I have in my
channels.scm a branch that I rebase periodically. [2]

I pull with

    guix pull --allow-downgrades --disable-authentication

That kind of setup totally removes the timing pressure from your
contribution.  It also allows you to test your patch in real life and
then argue with committers solely about its merits.  It's better for
everybody, I think.

It may leave everyone, most importantly yourself, in a happier place.

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-01/msg00056.html
[2] https://codeberg.org/lechner/guix-config/src/branch/history/channels.scm