Subject: [bug#75144] [PATCH] news: Add entry for 'hetzner-environment-type'

From: Roman Scherer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 16:24:57 +0100

Hi Florian,

thanks for applying the patch!

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Pushed the news as 0bf82b3fd5fcca2baef872ee06b40995cfbba7df
> with an added German translation.
>
> I set your copyright year to 2025, though.  I hope the 2024 you wrote
> had been a typo.  Also I ended the commit message’s first line with a
> period.

Yes, it was a typo. I worked on this in 2024 and 2025. Thanks for fixing it.

> Hetzner support is exciting news, though I have no account there and
> have not tested.
>
> By the way I just had to build rust’s bootstrap chain, before I could
> install Guix System on my new ARM machine with which I committed your
> patch.  Board info for its RAM is not free software; maybe substitutes
> are missing for lack of fast freedom-respecting ARM devices.

Yes, I also ran into this multiple times. I also run my own substitute
server for my asahi guix channel on Hetzner. That helps a bit. I don't
have hard data on this, but my feeling is it builds the Gnome/KDE
desktops, and Rust bootstrap chain more reliable/faster than the Guix
infrastructure. But I might be wrong.

> Regards,
> Florian