Subject: Re: [bug#75144] [PATCH v3 2/2] machine: Implement 'hetzner-environment-type'.

From: Roman Scherer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2025 21:09:32 +0100

Hi Ludo, and everyone still listening,

thanks for merging it and your help on this! I plan to submit a news
entry patch tomorrow.

I don't have the time for a blog post unfortunatly. Too busy with other
things at the moment, sorry. :/ Maybe another time.

Another feedback I wanted to mention. We should really aim to improve on
substitute availability and stability of Guix if we want people to rely
on Guix and `guix deploy`. I think this was also mentioned in the
survey.

While working on this the user experience of guix deploy really
shined/falled, depending on substitute availability and stability. I'm
probably biased and having bad luck with aarch-64 based Guix systems.

For example, using the ARM based servers (which are cheaper than x86)
with Guix on Hetzner can lead to a headache if you or the the servers
you deploy to start building Rust and friends. :/

I think we get there, thanks again, and happy hacking!

Roman

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Roman,
>
> Applied with the one-line change below.
>
> I wasn’t able to run tests that require an API token because I don’t
> have one (but I may well give that a try eventually); other tests went
> well.
>
> Feel free to submit an entry for ‘etc/news.scm’ (make sure to provide
> enough context so users can tell whether this is something of interest
> to them).  A blog post for guix.gnu.org/blog showing how you use it and
> how it’s implemented would also be welcome if you feel so inclined!
>
> Thanks for all the work!
>
> Ludo’.