Subject: Re: [bug#75082] [PATCH] gnu: Add python-terminaltexteffects.

From: Andrew Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 00:52:49 -0500

> The project provides tests 
https://github.com/ChrisBuilds/terminaltexteffects/tree/0.9.3/tests
 > You might need to add python-pytest into native inputs to make
 > them work.
I tried adding python-pytest and enabling tests, but I get the following 
error:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
starting phase `check'
Using pytest
============================= test session starts 
==============================
platform linux -- Python 3.10.7, pytest-8.3.3, pluggy-1.5.0 -- 
/gnu/store/jjzbav1s0x8lqg1aal13irspwwblwdf4-python-wrapper-3.10.7/bin/python
cachedir: .pytest_cache
hypothesis profile 'default' -> 
database=DirectoryBasedExampleDatabase('/tmp/guix-build-python-terminaltexteffects-0.11.0.drv-0/terminaltexteffects-0.11.0/.hypothesis/examples')
rootdir: 
/tmp/guix-build-python-terminaltexteffects-0.11.0.drv-0/terminaltexteffects-0.11.0
configfile: pyproject.toml
plugins: hypothesis-6.54.5
collecting ... collected 0 items

============================ no tests ran in 0.26s 
=============================
error: in phase 'check': uncaught exception:
%exception #<&invoke-error program: 
"/gnu/store/92spfniihzr0d822qzvdfxczyacb3c5b-python-pytest-8.3.3/bin/pytest" 
arguments: ("-vv") exit-status: 5 term-signal: #f stop-signal: #f>
phase `check' failed after 0.4 seconds
command 
"/gnu/store/92spfniihzr0d822qzvdfxczyacb3c5b-python-pytest-8.3.3/bin/pytest" 
"-vv" failed with status 5
build process 18 exited with status 256
note: keeping build directory 
`/tmp/guix-build-python-terminaltexteffects-0.11.0.drv-0'
builder for 
`/gnu/store/qxln3k3razxvz0w8qgcl00c0v25xav92-python-terminaltexteffects-0.11.0.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of 
/gnu/store/qxln3k3razxvz0w8qgcl00c0v25xav92-python-terminaltexteffects-0.11.0.drv 
failed
View build log at 
'/var/log/guix/drvs/qx/ln3k3razxvz0w8qgcl00c0v25xav92-python-terminaltexteffects-0.11.0.drv.gz'.
guix build: error: build of 
`/gnu/store/qxln3k3razxvz0w8qgcl00c0v25xav92-python-terminaltexteffects-0.11.0.drv' 
failed
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
I tried poking around with guix build --keep-failed and found no trace 
of the
tests/ dir from the upstream repo, or any of the test_*.py files that were
inside and that the pytest docs[1] say are needed for tests to be found 
and run.
Is the upstream just configured wrong? Apologies if it's a trivial 
problem, I am
not a python developer.