Subject: Re: bug#75056: 31.0.50; tty-child-frames with server / multiple clients possible hangs

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 20:41:21 +0100

Len Trigg <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2025 at 21:45, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>   A child frame is supposed to show a minibuffer unless it is created with
>  (minibuffer . nil) or some value specifying a minibuffer on some other
>  frame.  How precisely is your child frame created?
>
> Sorry, my terminology may not be correct, I meant there are two "input
> areas" at once (probably only the second one at the bottom of the
> frame is an actual minibuffer?), see picture below:
>
> image.png
>
> The two input areas is not what we get when the same is invoked in GUI
> rather than TTY (and not what the TTY behaviour used to be):

Actually, you get the same thing with a GUI, but you don't notice. Feng
Shu, the author, can explain that better than me, but it goes something
like this:

The Posframe displays the minibuffer, but it doesn't have a minibuffer.
The actual minibuffer is still in the original frame, but it appears as
if it were not there because the mini-window's vscroll is set to
disguise that fact.

The trick doesn't work on ttys simply because I didn't implement vscroll
for ttys in Emacs 21.