Subject: bug#75056: 31.0.50; tty-child-frames with server / multiple clients possible hangs

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2025 10:44:09 +0100

> Could you make sub-menus display and behave more like on a GUI? For
 > example, when I choose Tools -> Spell from the menu bar, the Spell menu
 > replaces the Tools menu on the screen. On a GUI it would display on top
 > of the parent and one could navigate back to the parent with the mouse.

That would be nice but cascading menus on a tty is non-trivial - there
are already some some very clever hacks to make sure that each menu is
always drawn in its containing frame.  BTW, GTK builds can even enlarge
the Emacs frame when the menubar gets longer.  Note also that GUI builds
without toolkit cannot cascade menus either.

 > Similarly for context menus.

Same difficulties - one might have to move the menu to fit it into its
frame.  Not that it cannot be done but on a GUI context menus (or a
tooltip) can be easily drawn outside their owning frame when they get
too large.

 > Also the first line of the menu "Spell >" looks weird.

In what sense?

 > And keyboard navigation back from a sub-menu to its parent would be
 > nice.

Hmm... via backspace?

 > Also, moving child frames is pretty nice too!

In particular when debugging child frame behavior.

martin