Subject: Re: bug#75056: 31.0.50; tty-child-frames with server / multiple clients possible hangs

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2025 07:26:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> First, there's no "iconified" frames on TTYs, right? so this function
> can never return 'icon' in that case, correct?  And I presume
> iconify-frame is a no-op for TTY frames?

Martin mentioned in passing that he thinks iconifying frames on ttys
should perhaps do something. So it's maybe a "not yet".

> More importantly, what frames could have this function return nil?
> E.g., can a non-child frame return nil?

Yes. C-x 5 2 can make a new root frame, and only one is visible on
the display.

> Also, what do make-frame-visible and raise-frame do with TTY frames
> for which frame-visible-p returns nil, and what does
> make-frame-invisible do for those TTY frames for which this function
> returns non-nil?

raise-frame is make-frame-visible + changing z-order, make-frame-visible
and make-frame-invisible change the "visible" flag. (Just notices
make-frame-visible talks about "X window", hm.).

Did you mean these doc strings should be changed, too, or did you mean
something else?