Subject: bug#75018: 30.0.93; Dired icon missing in tool-bar

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2024 19:15:43 +0100

On Sun, 22 Dec 2024 18:40:45 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2024 09:32:23 -0600
>> From: "john muhl" <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
[...]
>> > Can you post the Dired icon file from where your build takes them?
>>
>> Unfortunately I can't find those particular icons among the ~7000
>> icons in the /usr/share/icons/ directory but they're probably in
>> there somewhere.
>
> If you run Emacs under GDB with a breakpoint in lookup_image, you
> should see all the tool-bar icons being loaded during startup.  You
> can use the following GDB commands for the breakpoint, to see when the
> icon you are interested in gets loaded:
>
>   pp spec
>
> This should show you the full absolute file name of the icon file
> Emacs is loading.

When I do that it shows that all the icon files are from etc/images in
the Emacs source tree and are xpm files.  However, the icons actually
displayed are the same as in screenshots John Muhl posted, except that I
also have an icon for the `dired' command.  This icon is located at
/usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/places/folder.png (or possibly a different
size) on my system.  The other icons (which are the same as in John's
screenshots) are located under /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/symbolic here;
there is also an icon there that looks similar to the folder.png icon
used for `dired' but matches the look of the other icons, so I wonder
why Emacs uses an icon from a different set of icons in this case.  My
system is GNU/Linux with the Gtk3 toolkit and Xfce4 desktop.  It seems
that the Gtk3 build overrides the icons provided by Emacs, but not in a
completely consistent way.

Steve Berman