Subject: bug#75017: 31.0.50; Untrusted user lisp files

From: john muhl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2024 14:48:52 -0600

user-init-file is trusted by default but not other user files.

  C-xf ~/.emacs.d/early-init.el
  M-x flymake-mode

Produces a warning:

  Disabling elisp-flymake-byte-compile in early-init.el (untrusted content)

custom-file (when not the same as user-init-file) also causes a
warning. Should these also be trusted by default?

What about files put in place by a system admin or your distro’s
Emacs package (e.g. site-run-file, default.el)? They generally
require root priviledges to install so if they can’t be trusted
you’re already in trouble.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 87, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2024-12-21 built on thelio
 Repository revision: ff4fcfc92cd80c9dbc68855549102d07ef419268
 Repository branch: master
 System Description: Fedora
 Linux 41 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --prefix=/home/jm/opt'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
JPEG LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  bug-reference-mode: t
  completion-preview-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  ruler-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  midnight-mode: t
  global-visual-wrap-prefix-mode: t
  visual-wrap-prefix-mode: t
  global-paren-face-mode: t
  paren-face-mode: t
  global-goto-address-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-quote-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  auto-save-visited-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug magit-utils crm dash misearch
multi-isearch texinfo texinfo-loaddefs tex-mode compare-w
make-mode css-mode smie sgml-mode facemenu imenu eww vtable
url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom mm-url gnus
message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr color
python skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs cc-bytecomp
c++-ts-mode c-ts-mode c-ts-common mule-util dired-aux dired-x
dired dired-loaddefs lua-ts-mode treesit flymake server warnings
tabify fennel-mode xref project inf-lisp shell pcomplete shortdoc
help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace find-func apropos
cursor-sensor compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc
ansi-color comp-run comp-common smerge-mode diff disp-table
whitespace emacs-news-mode time-date vc-git diff-mode
track-changes derived files-x vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
bug-reference completion-preview easy-mmode pcase noutline outline
ruler-mode specter-theme auth-source-pass winner ring savehist
repeat midnight visual-wrap paren-face compat goto-addr thingatpt
cl-extra help-mode autorevert filenotify elec-pair completion
desktop frameset delsel autoinsert cus-start time init
fennel-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
dash-autoloads magit-section-autoloads paren-face-autoloads
finder-inf info with-editor-autoloads xr-autoloads package
browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-privacy url-vars early-init rx subr-x cus-edit pp cus-load
icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
pgtk multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 4219242 387989) (symbols 48 31297 4)
 (strings 32 279165 15056) (string-bytes 1 12853103)
 (vectors 16 57830) (vector-slots 8 656011 595942) (floats 8 646 3216)
 (intervals 56 848446 3470) (buffers 992 79))