Subject: bug#75004: 30.0.92; documentation unclear about D-Bus support

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2024 14:53:25 -0800

Michael Albinus wrote:

> Could you pls check, whether the appended patch (for dbus.texi and
> tramp.texi) helps?

It does.  Thanks for the fast turnaround.

> > Configured features:
> > CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX
> > LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
> > TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB
> 
> Hmm, DBUS is not mentioned. Per default, it should be enabled. Perhaps
> you need to install the libdbus-1-dev package on your Debian system?

Yes, that was the issue; thanks.

BTW, I was surprised that 'configure' did not error out when I supplied
--with-dbus (or --with-dbus=yes) on the command line.  I expect
'configure' to disable a feature (and exit with status 0) if the feature
can't be provided and wasn't explicitly requested, but I thought the
inability to provide a specifically requested feature was considered an
error.  Am I misunderstanding how 'configure' is supposed to work?

mike