Subject: RE: bug#7500: 24.0.50; doc string of `current-kill'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:19:40 -0800

> interprogram-paste-function should be set to a function, otherwise it
> wouldn't be called interprogram-paste-function.
... 
> Since when is the kill-ring head a function?
...
> "then" starts a consequence, not "and".

Stop trying to justify it.  It is a rambling, confusing sentence.

It reads like a translation to English from some long sentence that might (or
might not) have been clear in some other language (perhaps one that revels in
long sentences?).  The result is not clear.

I can't even tell whether (a) "then" here is part of an "if...then" construct or
(b) there is a comma splice (no-no) and "then" here is a _temporal_ adverb
starting an independent clause.  In the latter case, the comma should be a
period and "then" should start a new sentence.

If you don't know where to begin to improve the text, start by splitting it into
shorter, simpler sentences, preferably in the active voice.  That will probably
make the meaning clear.

Once I have the meaning I can propose something, if needed.  But my guess is
that once you've changed to active, short sentences the meaning will be clear
enough for everyone - no further improvement needed.