Subject: bug#74983: [PATCH] Use `keymap-set' instead of `define-key' in emacs lisp intro

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2024 04:35:30 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Hong Xu <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2024 14:36:29 -0800
>>
>> * Since `define-key' is considered legacy and we encourage `keymap-set'
>>   now.
>
> Thanks.  But the second chunk is not really right, since we have many
> more define-key there than keymap-set.
>
> So my suggestion is not to _replace_ define-key with keymap-set, but
> instead describe _both_, explaining that as of Emacs 29 we are
> migrating towards keymap-set, which is preferred.
>
> Stefan, WDYT?

I'd tend to agree.  Users will have to recognize define-key for a long
time indeed, not just in our sources (which are relatively easily
fixable in comparison) but also in online forums, third-party packages,
and so on.

I didn't yet look at the patch though.