Subject: Re: bug#74981: 29.4; X11 crash when minibuffer text scale is increased greatly

From: Joseph Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2025 00:04:19 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Joseph Turner <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 23:34:50 -0800
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > One other idea is to change the font you use for the default face,
>> > maybe it's the font which causes the problem.  Cairo could also be the
>> > culprit, so using a different version of Cairo or a non-Cairo build
>> > might solve the problem.
>>
>> If someone gives me some steps to follow to dig into the bug, I'm happy
>> to be the guinea pig.
>
> To change the default font, invoke Emacs as follows:
>
>   $ emacs -Q -fn "name of the font here"

I downloaded https://typeof.net/Iosevka/ and was able to reproduce the
issue even using the Iosevka font.

> Do you also need more detailed instructions regarding a different
> version of Cairo or building Emacs without Cairo?

I compiled Emacs from b1e5f6d6ef8 by running "make", and the bug still
happens, so it appears to not be an issue with Cairo.

I also tested on my desktop, but I can only reproduce this on my X200
Thinkpad, which has a relatively small display.  Maybe that's relevant.

Visuwesh, what is the size of the display on the machine you used to
reproduce the issue?

Thank you,

Joseph