Subject: bug#7497: problem about auto adding newline at the end of file

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 14:31:38 +0200

> Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:53:17 +0800
> From: 李银璠 <[email-masked]>
> Cc: 
> 
> My emacs does not behave as stated in the documentation,
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Customize-Save.html#Customize-Save
> .
> 
> In the documentation, it is said that, if require-final-newline is set to
> nil, no changes would be adapted to my files, leaving them not ended with
> newline (0x0d0a).
> My emacs, on the other hand, always adds newline at the end of file,
> automatically, even when I add (setq-default require-final-newline nil); or
> (setq require-final-newline nil);to .emacs. (I tried them both)
> 
> I don't know if it is a bug, or it is caused by my wrong operation. I'm
> using Ubuntu 10.10, emacs 23.1.1

I cannot reproduce this in Emacs 23.1.  Please show a complete recipe,
starting with "emacs -Q", to reproduce this problem.

One possibility is that you see this in a file that turns a major mode
which uses mode-require-final-newline to set the buffer-local value of
require-final-newline.  In that case, you may wish to customize
mode-require-final-newline, or maybe reset require-final-newline in a
mode hook.