Subject: Re: bug#74966: 31.0.50; Crash report (using igc on macOS)

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2024 15:12:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2024 10:09:25 +0000
>> From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> 
>> >> Also, Stefan said something about using a Lisp_Object for the value?
>> >
>> > Haven't seen or registered that, so I better leave that to Stefan to
>> > explain.
>> 
>> I suggested doing so, I'm not aware of either Stefan suggesting it (as
>> both of them feature prominently in the git blame for doc.c, I'm not
>> sure which Stefan was meant).
>
> See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74966#107

I remember that message, but i don't see Stefan proposing to use
Lisp_Object for anything there. I didn't answer to it directly because
Pip answered and what he said was right.

The situation that Stefan overlooked in his analysis is one like
x-file-dialog in ns-win.el. This is a native compiled function, so a
SUBRP, but _not_ a primitive function (C function). Remember me
wondering how we land in nativecomp code for x-file-dialog in the
beginning? Same thing.