Subject: bug#74912: Shepherd: Growing number of user shepherds when relogging

From: Jake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2024 14:23:20 +0000

Hi

I think I'm experiencing a bug in Shepherd since version 1.0.
Whenever I log out and log back in again, my user shepherd from the
previous login session is still present, and a new user shepherd spawns for
the current login session.
So relogging N times results in N+1 user shepherds.

For example, I have relogged 5 times since I last rebooted:

$ herd status root
Status of root:
  It is running since 00:30:02 (10 minutes ago).
  Main PID: 23450
  Command:
/gnu/store/mfkz7fvlfpv3ppwbkv0imb19nrf95akf-guile-3.0.9/bin/guile
--no-auto-compile
/gnu/store/nl0w5c7pxxdczqiv4r9iq44al7nd5y5g-shepherd-1.0.0/bin/shepherd
--silent --config /gnu/store/w3l6dmap815mm3qzx77xdazky853adda-shepherd.conf
...

$ pgrep shepherd
1
9891
10777
16417
18510
21960
23450

$  ps aux | grep shepherd
root         1  0.0  0.9 222872 74456 ?        Sl   Dec15   0:08
/gnu/store/mfkz7fvlfpv3ppwbkv0imb19nrf95akf-guile-3.0.9/bin/guile
--no-auto-compile
/gnu/store/nl0w5c7pxxdczqiv4r9iq44al7nd5y5g-shepherd-1.0.0/bin/shepherd
--config /gnu/store/p7al8wd1inwk8f5di2q4llcpd64mjn5q-shepherd.conf
jake      9891  0.0  0.2  75816 23624 ?        Ss   Dec15   0:04
/gnu/store/mfkz7fvlfpv3ppwbkv0imb19nrf95akf-guile-3.0.9/bin/guile
--no-auto-compile
/gnu/store/nl0w5c7pxxdczqiv4r9iq44al7nd5y5g-shepherd-1.0.0/bin/shepherd
--silent --config /gnu/store/w3l6dmap815mm3qzx77xdazky853adda-shepherd.conf
jake     10777  0.0  0.3  76224 24752 ?        Ss   Dec16   0:03
/gnu/store/mfkz7fvlfpv3ppwbkv0imb19nrf95akf-guile-3.0.9/bin/guile
--no-auto-compile
/gnu/store/nl0w5c7pxxdczqiv4r9iq44al7nd5y5g-shepherd-1.0.0/bin/shepherd
--silent --config /gnu/store/w3l6dmap815mm3qzx77xdazky853adda-shepherd.conf
jake     16417  0.0  0.3  75752 24004 ?        Ss   Dec16   0:02
/gnu/store/mfkz7fvlfpv3ppwbkv0imb19nrf95akf-guile-3.0.9/bin/guile
--no-auto-compile
/gnu/store/nl0w5c7pxxdczqiv4r9iq44al7nd5y5g-shepherd-1.0.0/bin/shepherd
--silent --config /gnu/store/w3l6dmap815mm3qzx77xdazky853adda-shepherd.conf
jake     18510  0.0  0.2  75752 23760 ?        Ss   Dec16   0:01
/gnu/store/mfkz7fvlfpv3ppwbkv0imb19nrf95akf-guile-3.0.9/bin/guile
--no-auto-compile
/gnu/store/nl0w5c7pxxdczqiv4r9iq44al7nd5y5g-shepherd-1.0.0/bin/shepherd
--silent --config /gnu/store/w3l6dmap815mm3qzx77xdazky853adda-shepherd.conf
jake     21960  0.0  0.2 114608 22124 ?        Ss   Dec16   0:00
/gnu/store/mfkz7fvlfpv3ppwbkv0imb19nrf95akf-guile-3.0.9/bin/guile
--no-auto-compile
/gnu/store/nl0w5c7pxxdczqiv4r9iq44al7nd5y5g-shepherd-1.0.0/bin/shepherd
--silent --config /gnu/store/w3l6dmap815mm3qzx77xdazky853adda-shepherd.conf
jake     23450  0.0  0.2 114204 21328 ?        Ss   00:30   0:00
/gnu/store/mfkz7fvlfpv3ppwbkv0imb19nrf95akf-guile-3.0.9/bin/guile
--no-auto-compile
/gnu/store/nl0w5c7pxxdczqiv4r9iq44al7nd5y5g-shepherd-1.0.0/bin/shepherd
--silent --config /gnu/store/w3l6dmap815mm3qzx77xdazky853adda-shepherd.conf
jake     23672  0.0  0.0   6636  2552 pts/1    S+   00:32   0:00 grep
--color=auto shepherd

In addition, any daemons managed by the zombie shepherds also persist!

I'm experiencing this on both of my Guix System machines. One is running
GDM and XFCE. The other is running GDM and CWM.
Please let me know if I can provide more information.

Thanks
Jake