Subject: Re: bug#74907: 31.0.50; nsm-check-local-subnet-ipv4 test fails on macOS with VPN enabled

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2024 21:55:33 +0000

Ship Mints <[email-masked]> writes:

> With the VPN running and without, check the value
> of (network-lookup-address-info "localhost") and see if the VPN-regime
> value looks sensible. It is possible that your VPN set up is absconding
> with host resolution. I'd bet that (nsm-should-check "127.0.0.1") works
> fine under both scenarios.

I don't see a difference there.

;; With VPN
    (network-lookup-address-info "localhost")
    => ([0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0] [127 0 0 1 0])

    (network-lookup-address-info "127.0.0.1")
    => ([127 0 0 1 0])

;; Without VPN
    (network-lookup-address-info "localhost")
    => ([0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0] [127 0 0 1 0])

    (network-lookup-address-info "127.0.0.1")
    => ([127 0 0 1 0])

> You could at the command line also ping
> localhost and see what that reveals or try macOS network "reachability"
> diagnostic utility scutil -W -r localhost.

ping localhost works both with VPN and without, and scutil gives
basically the same output also.