Subject: bug#74892: closed (Re: [bug#74892] [PATCH 0/9] Depending on 'git-minimal/pinned' where appropriate)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2024 22:20:03 +0000

Your bug report

#74892: [PATCH 0/9] Depending on 'git-minimal/pinned' where appropriate

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74892: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74892
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#74892] [PATCH 0/9] Depending on 'git-minimal/pinned' where appropriate
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2024 23:19:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Sure I can do that if there are plans to merge it in the coming days;
>> otherwise I think I’d rather merge it straight to ‘master’ sooner.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> We'd like to merge python-team "soon", but we're still dealing with
> pretty fundamental breakage (and I'm going to be away from keyboard for
> a while starting next week), so I think it would be better for you to
> push it straight to master when you see fit.

Pushed:

  988ceea743 * gnu: python-pbr: Use git-minimal/pinned.
  976ea30c46 * gnu: pre-commit: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  8560cddd0a * gnu: python-reno: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  37e624859b * gnu: rust-git2: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  d8f413eb52 * gnu: podman: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  b3ee0f54ff * gnu: crun: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned'.
  b2754935cc * gnu: python-kanon: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  1cb16d8aba * gnu: python-gitdb: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  549e0f2fa7 * gnu: python-gitpython: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  43c16ce7fa * gnu: python-gitpython: Rewrite to use gexps.

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH 0/9] Depending on 'git-minimal/pinned' where appropriate
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2024 19:14:59 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Python team & co.!

It’s a problem that too many things depend on ‘git’ and
‘git-minimal’: it makes upgrades of these packages very
expensive to build and test, which in turn means they’re
too rarely upgraded¹.

This patch series tries to fix the main cases where packages
should depend on ‘git-minimal/pinned’ instead.

After this change ‘guix refresh -l git-minimal git’ reports
587 dependents, compared to 3.5K before (and 1K before the
recent ‘python-team’ merge).

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

¹ See <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/73309>!

Ludovic Courtès (9):
  gnu: python-gitpython: Rewrite to use gexps.
  gnu: python-gitpython: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  gnu: python-gitdb: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  gnu: python-kanon: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  gnu: crun: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned'.
  gnu: podman: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  gnu: rust-git2: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  gnu: python-reno: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.
  gnu: pre-commit: Switch to ‘git-minimal/pinned’.

 gnu/packages/astronomy.scm       |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/containers.scm      |  4 ++--
 gnu/packages/crates-vcs.scm      |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/openstack.scm       |  2 +-
 gnu/packages/version-control.scm | 27 ++++++++++++++-------------
 5 files changed, 19 insertions(+), 18 deletions(-)

base-commit: 65892d9f20aa7a8649797507bb1ec867285083fb
-- 
2.46.0