Subject: bug#74890: closed (Re: bug#74890: Acknowledgement (31.0.50; (thing-at-point 'string) raises error))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2024 20:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#74890: 31.0.50; (thing-at-point 'string) raises error

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74890: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74890
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#74890: Acknowledgement (31.0.50; (thing-at-point 'string) raises error)
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2024 20:44:18 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

> Now I realized that this bug is related to Drew's thingatpt+ as when I
> turned it off, the bug did not appear again.

Thanks, since this bug is not about Emacs, I'm closing it now.

Subject: 31.0.50; (thing-at-point 'string) raises error
From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2024 11:27:24 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I can see that I cannot run (thing-at-point 'string) safely, though I
cannot exactly determine the condition.

In the buffer I have only this:

Hello

which is string "Hello" and when I place cursor behind "o" and run
(thing-at-point 'string) I am getting the backtrace below. But if I make
one space like "Hello " and place cursor on that empty space in the
buffer, I am getting NIL and no error.  Though I cannot repeat this with
emacs -Q and thus I do not know why is this happening exactly.

I think that  (eq (char-syntax (char-after)) 34) cannot read the char
which is not there "after".

Backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument characterp nil)
  char-syntax(nil)
  (eq (char-syntax (char-after)) 34)
  (not (eq (char-syntax (char-after)) 34))
  (if (not (eq (char-syntax (char-after)) 34)) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (or (progn (forward-char) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (nth 3 syntax)) (progn (forward-char (- (or nil 1))) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (nth 3 syntax))))
  (let (syntax beg end) (if (not (eq (char-syntax (char-after)) 34)) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (or (progn (forward-char) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (nth 3 syntax)) (progn (forward-char (- (or nil 1))) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (nth 3 syntax)))) (and (nth 3 syntax) (condition-case nil (progn (setq beg (nth 8 syntax)) (setq end (progn (goto-char (nth 8 syntax)) (forward-sexp) (point)))) (error nil)) (cons beg end)))
  (save-excursion (let (syntax beg end) (if (not (eq (char-syntax (char-after)) 34)) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (or (progn (forward-char) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (nth 3 syntax)) (progn (forward-char (- (or nil 1))) (setq syntax (syntax-ppss)) (nth 3 syntax)))) (and (nth 3 syntax) (condition-case nil (progn (setq beg (nth 8 syntax)) (setq end (progn (goto-char ...) (forward-sexp) (point)))) (error nil)) (cons beg end))))
  tap-bounds-of-string-at-point()
  (let ((bounds (tap-bounds-of-string-at-point))) (and bounds (buffer-substring (car bounds) (cdr bounds))))
  tap-string-at-point()
  funcall(tap-string-at-point)
  (prog1 (funcall thing-fn) (constrain-to-field nil opoint))
  (let* ((opoint (point)) (thg (prog1 (funcall thing-fn) (constrain-to-field nil opoint)))) thg)
  (if thing-fn (let* ((opoint (point)) (thg (prog1 (funcall thing-fn) (constrain-to-field nil opoint)))) thg) (let ((bounds (tap-bounds-of-thing-at-point thing syntax-table))) (and bounds (buffer-substring (car bounds) (cdr bounds)))))
  (let* ((thing-fn (or (get thing 'tap-thing-at-point) (get thing 'thing-at-point))) (something (if thing-fn (let* ((opoint (point)) (thg (prog1 ... ...))) thg) (let ((bounds (tap-bounds-of-thing-at-point thing syntax-table))) (and bounds (buffer-substring (car bounds) (cdr bounds))))))) (if (and (stringp something) no-properties) (progn (set-text-properties 0 (length something) nil something))) something)
  thing-at-point(string)
  eval((thing-at-point 'string) t)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x15ba1ac9559f7d5d>)()
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x5db3e1955cb81d1>)()
  eval-expression((thing-at-point 'string) nil nil 127)
  funcall-interactively(eval-expression (thing-at-point 'string) nil nil 127)
  command-execute(eval-expression)

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-12-05 built on lco2
Repository revision: 25b4bf7fcd75564f23b2e60e29e8ff7354186371
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-native-compilation=yes
 --with-tree-sitter --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 49894 11144) (symbols 48 5434 0) (strings 32 14122 1285)
 (string-bytes 1 414224) (vectors 16 9179)
 (vector-slots 8 129869 10829) (floats 8 22 2) (intervals 56 247 8)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Jean