Subject: Re: bug#74881: 31.0.50; [PATCH] * lisp/vc/ediff-util.el: Remove temp files on kill-emacs

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2024 00:34:22 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> > > @@ -488,6 +496,7 @@ ediff-setup
> > >        (if (ediff-buffer-live-p ediff-meta-buffer)
> > >  	  (ediff-update-meta-buffer
> > >  	   ediff-meta-buffer nil ediff-meta-session-number))
> > > +      (add-hook 'kill-emacs-hook #'ediff--delete-temp-files-on-kill-emacs)
> >
> > Would it be ok to avoid the above loop completely by using the buffer
> > local version of `kill-emacs-hook' instead?
>
> You assume that the temporary Ediff files are always visited in some
> buffer?  Is that assumption true?

I think you misunderstood: my idea was to put `ediff-delete-temp-files'
to the local hook binding of the ediff control buffers (which we
currently consult anyway).  This would result in the same calls as now -
at least when local `kill-emacs-hook' bindings worked.

Michael.