Subject: bug#7487: closed (Re: 24.0.50; Gnus nnimap broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:45:02 +0000

Your bug report

#7487: 24.0.50; Gnus nnimap broken

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7487: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7487
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 24.0.50; Gnus nnimap broken
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:49:52 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This report was handled in a different forum, and debbugs wasn't Cc'd,
apparently.  So I'm just closing this report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Subject: 24.0.50; Gnus nnimap broken
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 01:10:21 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I updated from bzr for the first time in a few months today, and
immediately ran into problems with Gnus.

My Gnus related variables are:

 '(gnus-select-method (quote (nnimap "localhost")))
 '(gnus-sieve-crosspost nil)
 '(gnus-sieve-file "~/.sieve.d/Gnus.sieve")

everything else is set to defaults.

Upon starting Gnus, some of my groups are showing unread articles in the
summary buffer, including groups which I only manually move articles
into, and which I have not touched for months.  After entering these
groups, I see some old articles that I have ticked, and some lines
saying that an article has not been downloaded (I have fixed the problem
now, and I did not have the foresight to note down the exact text).  It
seems gnus-agent (which I never explicitly enabled, but have had problems
with in past upgrades after it was enabled by default) is out of sync
with the server, and deleting the ~/News/agent directory fixed the
problem.

Now when I start Gnus, I get the message 

nnimap (localhost) open error: 'Unable to contact localhost:imaps via
ssl'.  Continue?

I answer 'y', expecting Gnus to continue using imap, as I configured it,
but get the following messages:

Reading /home/jasonr/.newsrc.eld...
Opening nnimap server on localhost...
Denied server nnimap+localhost
Opening nnimap server on localhost...failed: Unable to contact
localhost:imaps via ssl

This is a terrible user experience.  Trying SSL first is a good feature,
but if it fails, Gnus should fall back to using plain imap as the user
has configured.  It isn't even obvious to me what variable I have to set
to access plain imap anymore.

Following this, I configured Gnus to use imaps (which I have configured on a
non-standard port to get through certain firewalls but never bothered to
use before on localhost), and now run into a third problem.  Upon
logging in, I am prompted to add my login credentials to
~/.authinfo.gpg.  This brings up a confusing buffer asking me to mark a
public key, which I have discovered by trial and error only works if I
select no public keys so it falls back on symetric encryption.  After
entering an encryption password twice, I was able to read my mail at
last.

But my problems aren't over yet. When I quit Gnus and start it again,
my encryption password for authinfo.gpg doesn't appear to work.
Actually, it is working, because if I enter a different password, it
fails immediately, whereas if I enter the correct password it loops
forever asking for my password (maybe not forever, but my patience for
finding out is limited).

Using C-x C-f to find ~/.authinfo.gpg works after entering the password
once, the the problem seems to be particular to the way Gnus is opening
the file, not a general problem with file decryption.

The messages from this failure are below.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0)
 of 2010-11-25 on wanchan
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10900000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_NZ.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
/home/jasonr/.authin: 100% (96/96)
/home/jasonr/.authin: 0% (0/96)
/home/jasonr/.authin: 100% (96/96)
/home/jasonr/.authin: 0% (0/96)
/home/jasonr/.authin: 100% (96/96)
/home/jasonr/.authin: 0% (0/96)
Unable to open server nnimap+localhost due to: Opening input file: Can't decrypt, ((exit) (quit))
nnimap (localhost) open error: ''.  Continue?  n
Couldn't open server on localhost
Warning: Unable to open server nnimap+localhost due to: Opening input file: Can't decrypt, ((exit) (quit))

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug epa-file epa derived epg auth-source
nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
smime password-cache dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win jka-compr org-mouse org-w3m
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda
org-info org-id org-gnus org-bbdb paren gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit time cua-base cus-start cus-load
remember org-remember org-datetree org byte-opt warnings bytecomp
byte-compile advice help-fns advice-preload ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint comint ring
ob-keys ob org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs time-date
noutline outline easy-mmode regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu calendar
cal-loaddefs server tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)