Subject: bug#7487: 24.0.50; Gnus nnimap broken

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 22:15:02 +0100

Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> writes:

> My guess is that Agent only updates its indexes when you enter the
> group, so it can get out of sync in cases where mail is read elsewhere.

The Agent should ideally just "extend" the article storage, but
otherwise be invisible to the user.  I think that, at the very least,
the Agent storage for a particular group should be nuked if the
UIDVALIDITY of the IMAP mailbox changes, but I'm not sure that's
sufficient.  And it's not been easy to find out what the failure modes
actually are, because when people get problems in this area, they ask
for advice, and are told "rm -r", and things just work.  But it doesn't
help debugging any.  :-/

>>> Following this, I configured Gnus to use imaps (which I have configured on a
>>> non-standard port to get through certain firewalls but never bothered to
>>> use before on localhost), and now run into a third problem.
>>
>> I don't follow you here.  How did you configure Gnus to use imaps?  And
>> since that's the default, isn't that what failed?
>
> I mean imaps as a protocol (SSL enabled imap), not as a port name. As I
> mentioned, I am running this on a non-standard port in order to get it
> through a particular firewall.

Ah, right.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen