Subject: Re: bug#74865: [PATCH] Use `completion-table-with-metadata'

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2024 19:29:04 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This is a small follow-up of bug#74616.  There I have introduced the
>> `completion-table-with-metadata' helper function, which we can now take
>> advantage of at more places.  By using `completion-table-with-metadata'
>> we avoid problems with completion sessions in recursive minibuffers.
>
> Thanks for the patch, now pushed.

Thanks!

> `completion-table-with-metadata' is a very useful function.
> I already used it for the new command 'comint-complete-input-ring'
> in bug#74694.
>
> Also it could be used in `read-char-by-name' as well.

Yes, there are certainly more use cases. I didn't use it for
`read-char-by-name' since this would change the caching behavior
slightly. The character names would be loaded a little bit earlier,
which would slow down the initialization of `read-char-by-name'.

My patch only changed the call sites which are exactly equivalent with
and without the patch.

> Maybe `completion-table-with-metadata' should be announced
> in the "Lisp Changes" section of etc/NEWS?

Yes, please go ahead adding it to the NEWS. I will backport the function
also via Compat.

Daniel