Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add adl-submit.py

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2025 02:41:01 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 23 Jan 2025 19:33:46 +0000
Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > This also complicates things: contributions to adl-submit.py need to
> > fit into this file because that file is also served by the web
> > application.
> 
> What if someone would like to create a proper python package first by
> taking that file and preparing pyproject.toml with all dependencies?
> It would ease the live both for packaging and maintain, WDYT?
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I've started doing that and I sent a
first version of 2 patch sets that goes together for that which are
here:
https://framagit.org/agenda-libre/agenda-libre-ruby/-/merge_requests/71
https://framagit.org/agenda-libre/agenda-libre-ruby/-/merge_requests/72

The discussion happens in the first merge request (71).

> I may prepare the project based on that script, I guess the license
> would let us do that, or propose maintainers of
> <https://framagit.org/agenda-libre/agenda-libre-ruby> to ship it as
> dedicated project with the same reason you described - it would help
> make live more bright and shiny.
I'm unsure this is a good idea or not as moving the adl-submit.py in a
separate repository might result in more maintenance for the Agenda du
libre maintainer.

However as I understand all major general purpose package managers
(Guix, Arch Linux's pacman, Gentoo's portage, Yocto's bitbake etc)
support changing directory during the build.

If we do that, would that create some undesirable side effect? For
instance would pip be able to build that? Would guix import work? What
about guix refresh or guix lint?

Since programming language package managers (like pip) tend to be more
strict than general purpose ones (like Guix), could that cause any
issues?

Denis.