Subject: Re: bug#74855: 30.0.92; dired - slow copy across (wireless) LAN

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2024 18:09:55 -0500

severity 74855 wishlist
tags 74855 + notabug
close 74855
thanks

Christopher Howard <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> What would be the check? "A user wants to copy 600 files, with about
>>> 2GB data total, via ssh"? Tramp doesn't know this, it works
>>> file-wise. Such a check must reside in dired, but I still doubt
>>> we'll find a good rule.
>>
>> Something along those lines is what I imagined, yes.  The rule might
>> not be perfect, but we could probably come up with some reasonable
>> defaults if we thought about it.  But if it's not an interesting
>> suggestion, then that's fine by me.
>
> I don't think this is a critical issue, but another idea would be to
> simply have dired echo some kind of warning, suggesting to use the
> other method, and maybe referencing the manual.
>
> The tricky part there, I think, is that the warning would get cleared
> from the echo area, by dired's progress messages, before the user had
> a chance to read or notice it. So I'm not sure if that would be useful
> in practice.

Patches to that effect are welcome.  Please open a new bug report for
that if you decide to give it a try; I'm closing this bug report with
this message.

Thanks.