Subject: bug#74844: 29.4; m-buffer: Broken Top Directory node in Info manual due to malformed Texinfo direntry

From: Suhail Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2024 16:48:01 -0500

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> and to `m-buffer` I pushed another change which tries to workaround
> that bug (for when it's used with an older Emacs).

> modified    m-buffer-doc.org
> @@ -5,7 +5,7 @@
> 
> # FIXME: Shouldn't `ox-texinfo` use sane defaults like the file's name
> #        for TEXINFO_DIR_TITLE and the TITLE for TEXINFO_DIR_DESC?

I believe TEXINFO_DIR_TITLE is obsolete (based on a comment in
ox-texinfo).

> -#+TEXINFO_DIR_TITLE: m-buffer-doc
> +#+TEXINFO_DIR_TITLE: * m-buffer-do: (m-buffer-doc).
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^

Is that a typo, or intentional?  Either m-buffer or m-buffer-doc in that
position would've been more expected.

Btw, based on my interpretation of the Org manual
(info "(org) Texinfo specific export settings"), I would've expected the
below to work:

#+begin_src diff
  -#+TEXINFO_DIR_TITLE: m-buffer-doc
  -#+TEXINFO_DIR_DESC: Manipulate the Contents of Emacs Buffers
  +#+TEXINFO_FILENAME: m-buffer-doc.texi
  +#+TEXINFO_DIR_NAME: m-buffer
#+end_src

With the TEXINFO_DIR_NAME setting being optional, i.e., if omitted the
title of the menu-item would default to m-buffer-doc.  If this doesn't
happen, then there's a bug in ox-texinfo (either in the documentation or
the code).  I am unable to confirm this locally, since it's not clear
what code is run on ELPA to generate the info manual.

-- 
Suhail